Things to do During the Holidays
The Holiday Season is Here!
Some of you may be excited about family gatherings, big meals, an abundance of sweets, gifts, or getting ready for a new year. Some of you might want to skip all of that. It can be hectic, but it’s hard to avoid. Here is a list of things to do during the holidays. With a good plan, maybe it won’t feel so overwhelming!
Do you prefer not to be stuck in the kitchen all day preparing food? You might want to check out this list of restaurants serving a Thanksgiving meal:
- The Corner Office & Martini Bar is offering a Thanksgiving Day Buffet, from 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Call or visit the website to make reservations. 1401 Curtis Street, Denver. 303-825-6500
- Cru Food & Wine Bar will have their Thanks Harvest Bounty, from noon to 9 p.m. 1442 Larimer Street, Denver. 303-893-9463
- Thanksgiving at The Fort will keep your belly full with a traditional turkey dinner and all your favorite fixings. Reservations start at 11 a.m. 19192 Hwy 8, Morrison. 303-697-4771
- If you’re looking for a less traditional Thanksgiving, check out Kachina Cantina, which is offering a taco plate special. They will also have a special Turkey Day menu served 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. 1890 Wazee Street, Denver. 720-460-2728
- In the Boulder area, you might want to check out The Kitchen and their traditional holiday menu. Reservations run from noon to 8 p.m. 1039 Pearl Street, Boulder. 303-544-5973
For everyone who wants to avoid the hustle and bustle of Black Friday, head to your closest State Park. Colorado Parks & Wildlife’s Fresh Air Friday is encouraging Coloradans to get outside and enjoy the fresh air. There will be FREE admission to all state parks and special events at participating state parks. Check out the website for more details.
The Grand Illumination at Union Station is on the evening of November 23. The event features the lighting of the building and a 40 foot tall Christmas tree, as well as the launch of the Denver Union Station Holiday Market with the Denver Flea, which runs through December 16. There will also be live music and other entertainment, from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
There are many holiday movies and shows that we all love to watch every year, and one of the classics is coming to a stage near you! A Christmas Carol will be performed throughout the month of December at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts. You may also want to check out their other holiday shows, The Santaland Diaries or White Christmas.
Another famous holiday tradition is The Nutcracker, which will be running at the Colorado Ballet every weekend through December 24. Click here to purchase tickets online or call 303-837-8888 ext. 2.
To add a little culture to your holiday schedule, the Denver Christkindl Market may be the place for you. This annual event brings authentic German and European holiday traditions to our area. There will be food, festive drinks, handmade jewelry, toys, clothing, and much more. Live entertainment will be featured each night.
The 43rd Annual 9News Parade of Lights will be held on Friday, November 30, at 8 p.m. and Saturday, December 1, at 6 p.m. This free event features marching bands, illuminated floats, giant balloons, and more. The City and County Building will be a spectacularly lit backdrop at the beginning of the two-mile long route.
New Year’s Eve
There is never a shortage of New Year’s Eve events. Here is a list of things to do to celebrate the New Year:
- The New Year’s Eve Fireworks at the 16th Street Mall give you an early option at 9 p.m. and a midnight option.
- The Colorado Symphony will perform A Night in Vienna, starting at 6:30 pm. You can purchase tickets here.
- Denver Ballroom Production is hosting An Evening of Ballroom Elegance. Live music, dancing, and cocktails. It will be an elegant night!
- Denver’s Grandest New Year’s Eve Party will be at the Grand Hyatt Downtown. Tickets include open bar, four areas of entertainment, buffet dinner, party hats and favors, and a balloon drop at midnight!
There are plenty of things to do during this cold season! No matter what you decide to do, we hope you’re holidays are joyous!